Re: [LARTC] Routing from a box behind two NAT'ing routers

Henrik,
	I am in the same boat as you. I have two SDSL lines I would like to do the same
with. I have yet to find a working solution and hope I will have time to address
this tomorrow.

	In the mean time I bought a Nexland ISBPro800, which according to reviews and
Nexland should do some of what we are looking to do. Unfortunately it does not even
come close. I was better of just using RIP for redundancy. The Nexland is not doing
anything for me, and I need to take the time to ship it back and get my money back.

	I have found two other solutions both of which are out of my price range at the
moment. The first on for the money is not worth it. It's the products from FatPipe,
Inc. The one I do like and may end up having to purchase is made by SysMaster.
There pricing is much better, the units scale better, and they just plug into a
switch. No routing the routers through the unit and then through the switch. You
just plugin everything into the switch, and use the SysMaster unit as the gateway.

	I spoke with one of the engineers at SysMaster, and if I do not have this problem
solved by the time I get the cash. I just may by one and call it a day.

	On the Linux front I did get close, but ran into issues with the route caching
table. I did receive a suggestion from Julian Anastasov, but I have not had time to
try the cache settings he suggested. It's in the list archive on 4/29/2002

	Bottom line is I would rather have Linux do it. Personally I think it's cooler and
possibly better? I am willing to work or share info with others to come up with a
working solution. I know others will be coming down this path as more people get
multiple broad band connections.

Hell I have an ISP that will provide 1.1mps SDSL lines for $80.00 a month. So in my
situation it makes more sense than buying a T-1 or T-3.

	Anyway, I will be back at it some day this week. Shooting for tomorrow. I have a
feeling that there needs to be additional logic in the multipath routing. But not
knowing C/C++ I am not sure how much help I can provide. Sorry, so far I am a Java
guy, but C/C++ is next on my list. This may be the motivation I need.

	There needs to be some sort of route aging mechanism or packet marking. So when new
routes are presented the old ones will be removed.

	Also once the route cache issue has been addressed, I believe a DNS how to is
crucial. Since depending on how you have your DNS servers set up will dictate how
well things work. For example in my case for each private IP, I have two public
IP's, one on each ISP's SDSL line.

	So once the Linux router works the way it should, the DNS servers will also need a
special config.

At the moment I have DNS server 1 returning IP's from ISP 1
DNS server 2 returns IP's from ISP 2. Basically like the example from
http://www.samag.com/documents/s=1824/sam0201h/0201h.htm

I tried doing something along the lines of having both DNS servers be on the same
block, and if a request came in on that IP block, they would get IP's from that
block. If they requested either DNS server via the other block, IP's from that
block would be returned. That seemed to cause allot of problems.

Anyway, you are not alone. Hopefully there is some one out there who has done this
successfully and can shed light on were we are going wrong. Or someone out there
willing to gang up with us to come up with a working solution.

I am in, any one else interested in this?

--
Sincerely,
William L. Thomson Jr.

--