Re: [LARTC] Traffic Shaping

On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 01:04:32AM +0000, Sahil Gupta - NET4U wrote:
> Hello everybody,
> I own a small ISP in New Zealand and have recently purchased additional
> bandwith for telehousing customers.  Currently all of them connect through

'telehousing' = 'colocating'?

> to the Cisco Router, what I wanted to do was to have a linux gateway on
> the network which could basically run Traffic Shaping etc.  and then
> assign the Cisco Router's Ethernet Interface a Local Network I.P. only
> telnettable by the Gateway.
>
> Does anybody know what the best way to do this is?

You just described it. First configure the Linux box with two network
interfaces. Make a tiny subnet between your cisco and the Linux machine, and
assign both the cisco and the linux machine an ip address in that subnet.
May even be a point-to-point route.

Then assign the 'inner' interface of your linux machine the former address
of your Cisco, so all customers talk to it automatically.

Make sure you have routing enabled, and have compiled in all funky shaping
things. Now hook it up and do nothing, just let it sit there to see if it
works as it should.

And then the fun begins!

You can also run a 'proxy arp' bridge without any configuration changes on
either the Cisco or the telehousing customers. See the HOWTO for details.
You can also run a real bridge (also see the HOWTO), but currently that
means that you lose the ability to use iptables on your bridge.

That will change soon, however.

Regards,

bert

--