Re: [LARTC] Ip addr, zebra

On Sat, Dec 22, 2001 at 07:17:50PM -0800, Sanjeev Lakshmanan wrote:
> 1. When i delete the ip address for each interface and
> assign a new one,(first ip addr del ... and then ip
> addr add ...) , after i reboot the system, the old
> delted ip address is appearing on the interfaces. What
> could be the problem. I am using Redhat linux 7.1

Read your Redhat manual.  Redhat stores the boot-up addresses in a
series of files under /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts.  Changing the
address 'live' with ip or ifconfig will not change the boot-up address
of the machine.

> 2. If i need to setup 3 interconnceted systems for
> routing, then do i need to run the zebra daemon on
> each of the 3 machines by placing their respective
> zebra.conf files in usr/local/etc?

You can usually just add the appropriate static routes to each system's
routing table.  If you feel dynamic routing is necessary, decide which
protocol (usually OSPF in this situation) you need, and configure it
according to the docs.

If the three machines are just part of one IP network then just assign
their addresses, connect them to each other, and watch the packets fly
... ;-)  A few more details about your exact setup would help of course.

> 4. Is a switch/hub required to run zebra or will the
> daemon run even when i just have point to point
> ethernet cables between systems?

If you have three systems with point to point connections, see above;
you probably don't need dynamic routing software like Zebra at all.
--
Michael T. Babcock
CTO, FibreSpeed Ltd.     (Hosting, Security, Consultation, Database, etc)