[LARTC] adv. routing features not working?

Hello,

I posted here a couple of weeks ago with problems trying to specify and use
multiple gateways.

Got lots of good advise, but I had a little OS trouble.
So I've finally upgraded to 2.4.9, and made sure that the correct options
are compiled in (adv. router, policy routing, etc.)

Here's a quick summary of my goal:
I have two DSL routers connected to my linux box.  Packets are
port-forwarded from each router to an IP on the linux box (each has its own
IP to forward to).  I would like incoming requests to be serviced, and then
returned on the gateway it came in on.  10.4.44.1 is currently the default
gw, and all packets coming in are leaving via it.  10.4.44.2 is the other
router.
10.4.44.11 and .12 are the two IPs (one virtual) for the linux box.

I added the rule:
	ip rule add to 10.4.44.11/24 dev eth0 table speed

and the route:
	ip route add default via 10.4.44.2 dev eth0 table speed
	ip route flush cache

No errors, but if I look at packets (with ethereal), I see the destination
of all outgoing packets is 10.4.44.1.

Now the above rule and route worked fine on another system -- packets went
where they were supposed to.
So my question is, is there a way to test the basic functionality of the
advanced routing features?  I tried forwarding all outgoing packets to
10.4.44.2, and that had no effect either.

I think that I'm either missing a step, or that something is configured
wrong.

Any help's appreciated.
thanks!

Ross