[LARTC] sfq as solution to "Small ISP problems" and "How could I do this?"

 > Subject: [LARTC] Small ISP problems (CBQ)
 > First of all, this is what we want (in network priority order):
 > 1: SSH - to be realtime always.
I don't think you want this to always be high prio - that includes scp.

 > 2: HTTP to be fast, always.
Clearly can't be done if you have more http requests than your
bandwidth can handle.

 > 3-> ftp, direct-connect, kazaa and others to be throttled to X bandwidh per
 > IP.. (or not disturb http and ssh and use real fair quing.. )

I think what you really want is to prevent large flows from unfairly
impacting small ones, and that's what sfq does.  Try it and see
whether you get the behavior you want.

================
 > Subject: [LARTC] How could I do this?

 > If I want to limit bandwidth from a lot of ip addresses( every ip has a
 > limit),
Again, I wonder if this is really what you want.  You really want to
waste extra bandwidth?  Normally if you have 10 users you'd be willing
to let one use all of the bandwidth whenever none of the others want
any.  Now it's possible for an ISP that you promise some particular
bandwidth to each customer and don't want to give him more unless he
pays for it.  That's another situation.
If you're really in the first situation where you just want to give
equal service to all who are requesting it then what you really want
is a slight variant of sfq.  If you look at the code you'll see a hash
function that takes into consideration source and destination ip
address and port and maybe other stuff.  All you want to do is remove
all but the source IP (and then perhaps do what you can to prevent
source forgery!).  That will give fair service among all source IP
addresses.