Re: [LARTC] problem with the howto sample

On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 11:14:01PM +0100, Patrick Nagelschmidt wrote:
> is the naming of classes essential for building them correctly? is
> parent 1:1 classid 10:0 somehow different from parent 1:1 classid 1:2?
> up to now i thought classid was only a name and the parent would be
> enough to make the classes' positions in the tree unambiguously...

If we were to rework the naming, something like ...

1) parent 1: classid 1:2
2) parent 1:2 classid 1:2:5
3) parent 1:2:5 classid 1:2:5:8

... would make more sense.

The numbering scheme currently in place makes very little sense and is
quite wasteful of the number-space it uses (not that it matters much to
most people).

If the above were used, 'parent' would become quite unnecessary of course.
--
Michael T. Babcock
CTO, FibreSpeed Ltd.     (Hosting, Security, Consultation, Database, etc)