Re: [LARTC] Masq/route based on port

This is a home setup, not a server setup. We have no servers on our network. The reason we want port 80 on eth2 is because eth2 has more download bandwidth. For other protocols we want eth1, because it has more symmetric bandwidth.

Greg Scott wrote:

This doesn't seem right:

My firewall configuration:
iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -p tcp -m tcp --dport 80 -j MARK --set-mark 2
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth1 -j SNAT --to-source 1.1.1.128
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth2 -j SNAT --to-source 2.2.2.128

I'm not the expert, but I don't think you want to SNAT.

You're marking inbound packets with destination port 80 and then putting
rules in the POSTROUTING table to fudge in a different IP address for
outbound packets. That doesn't seem right. It doesn't redirect inbound
packets the way you want.

I think you want to DNAT instead of SNAT and forget about marking packets. Set up some PREROUTING rules and DNAT all incoming port 80 stuff over to the interface you want. That should be all you need to do because the connection tracking should take care of getting the reply packets from your
internal web server back to where they belong.

Verify this with the experts before you do it, but I think I'm right on this one.

- Greg Scott