Re: [LARTC] HTB and diff.serv

On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Øystein Løkås wrote:

> > But I ran into problems when I tried to implement the AF classes. To do
> > this, I map each AF class to one HTB class. Now I need to attach a GRED
> > queue to each of the HTB classes to implement the drop preferences. But
> > GRED needs the skb->tcindex field from the dsmark qdisc to select the
> > correct virtual queue. So I configured dsmark as the root qdisc, and HTB inside this. But now I can't
> > use filters inside the HTB qdisc, because it is an internal qdisc.
>
> There is nothing which should you prevent from using filters
> with internal (non root) qdisc ..
>
> What problem are you experiencing ?
>
> devik

Hmm.. maybe I'm wrong. I tried this yesterday afternoon, and got a
RTNETLINK error message. I think it was "no such file or directory". Then
I thought I remembered reading in your documentation that filters couldn't
be attached to internal htb qdisc, so I tried to use the same setup with
CBQ classes, and that worked.

But if you say it can be done, I will take another good look at my code
and try again. I would certainly like to be able to use HTB for this
purpose, because it has given me great results with link-sharing so far.
Thanks for a good and easy to use qdisc..;-)

Øystein Løkås