[LARTC] iproute2 and RTNETLINK error

Hello...

I'm getting the following error when I try to run and of the ip rule
commands:
root@xxxxxxx:/etc/iproute2# ip rule ls
RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument
Dump terminated

Does that mean that there is a problem with RTNETLINK or iproute2?  I've
recompiled my kernel to be sure that NETLINK and RTNETLING are both there.

I'm running Slackware 8.0 with kernel version 2.2.19 I believe and I just
downloaded iproute2-current.tar.gz yesterday.

any suggestions or pointers to any documentation will be helpfull or if you
can point me to a previous posting to this list in archives.  Thanks alot

TJ Cuddy <stable>