Re: [LARTC] Shaping incoming traffic?

Martin Devera <devik@xxxxxx> writes:

> It is nerly FAQ. You can use Ingres qdisc to do it and attach
> policers here.

Ah ok, I found the SYN flood example in the HOWTO.  :)
But that seems to work by dropping packets rather than queueing them,
which is not so good if your bandwidth is very limited (modem dialup).

> It would be nice to be able to attach every qdisc to incoming interface
> but it is not possible. There is always problem - when packet already
> hitted your box why do you want to drop/delay it ?

Because some of the traffic is for this box (doesn't go out) and I
don't want it to ``steal' all the bandwidth from traffic that is
forwarded through the box.  Also, the traffic is mostly asymmetric,
lots of data coming in and only ACKs going out.

> On your virtual-host note. I already did patch (called IMQ) which
> implements virtual inteface allowing to attach single qdisc to multiple
> outgoing devices.

Could you post the URL for that?

> It should be relatively easy to extend it to catch incoming packets
> too

>     - only there is no time to do it.

Hmm, lack of time is a universal problem me thinks...   ;)

--
Manfred