[LARTC] Shaping with Monthly traffic limits

I've taken a look at the list archives, the Advanced Routing HOWTO, and
done a quick netsearch, but still don't know how to solve my problem.

I'm currently living in university housing, and they provide an network
connection.  The only limit on transfer speed is link saturation,
however there are monthly and daily limits for all data transfered to
and from the internet.  Is it currently possible to shape traffic so
that there is:
- no limit on local transfers
- 5G/month, 200/day, 800/night limit on external transfers
- the ability to still do transfers as fast as the link will allow
(until it bumps up against transfer limits).

Any help would be appreciated... a thread I might have missed, a
webpage, anything.

Thanks in advance,
Nathan