[LARTC] MARKing according to both net. interfaces?

[I had no success on the netfilter mailing list so may be here? I
don't think there is a mailing list devoted to tc?]

In order to later shape the traffic with tc, I'm trying to use
iptables to mark traffic with a condition on both network interfaces
(in and out).

iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -p tcp -i eth4 -o eth5 -j MARK --set-mark 0x4

is accepted but ipchains -v shows that no packets are marked. I assume
this is because, in PREROUTING, you don't know the output interface
yet.

1) Am I correct?

2) Why is it accepted if it cannot work?

3) Is there a solution, since the mangle table only has OUTPUT (where
-i is not accepted) and PREROUTING? (FreeBSD zealots keep screaming to
me that it works fine with FreeBSD.)