[LARTC] policy routing based on user/process?

Hello.

I am a network newbie trying to set up a linux machine so it will
periodically establish ppp-connections through a modem and perform
some performance tests on these connections without the rest of the
traffic on that machine being affected.

How can I set up routing so that a certain user/program on the machine uses the PPP dialup connection while the rest of the system (httpd, network monitoring stuff) uses the network's internet gateway?

I think this is similar to the example with the two cable modems in the HOWTO, but I can't identify my 'John' by the source IP...

thanks,
Christian Henz.