[LARTC] RE: Contents of LARTC digest, Vol 1 #282 - 4 msgs

--------------020200010406090604000909

As far as I know, the cable modems each share the same bandwidth.  They
would also share the same subnet, so if one link goes down, wouldn't
they both be down?  I can't see using more than 1 modem for each coaxial
line.

Chris.

David wrote:

> Here is the setup I have. I have 3 network cards in my linux machine.
> 1 network card (eth0) goes to my internet network (192.168.0.0).
> Network Card 2 (eth1) and Network Card 3(eth2) go to the internet via
> 2 cable modems whose address is determined by dhcp. I can get either
> cable modem to work alone but I can't get them to work together. I
> would really like to be able to combine the 2 into 1 and have it
> detect a bad link as well in case i have to unplug 1 cable modem.
>

> Thanks!
>
> David
> maniacdavid@xxxxxxxxxxxx

I am using 2 different cable modems because there are 2 different people
paying of them. The way our cable system is set up is that 2 separate cable
modems combined together ($50 each) will be faster than the cable company's
$100 package. And yes, they would both go down at the same time. But for
future reference, it would be nice if I could have it detect when 1 goes
down (like unplugging it) because later I will be combining a DSL and a
cable. Im trying to get this teql thing (tc qdisc,etc.) to work but now that
Im reading about it seems like I would have to access to both sides.

Thanks
David
maniacdavid@xxxxxxxxxxxx

--------------020200010406090604000909--