[LARTC] Re: ***My Simple Setup***

Hello:

Nir Shah wrote,
> I?m very fresh for the world of Bandwidth Management. For last couple
> of months I?m searching for some good  (Complete) documentation on
> CBQ.

No such thing as "complete" documentation. :( This mailing list and its
archives are your best bet.

> My Questions:-
> 1	I want guidance on which kind of Filters I should use?

Depends, i use TBF (Token Bucket Filter).

> 2	Where can I find complete as well as useful documentation on that ?

See the Linux 2.4 Advanced Routing HOWTO
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Adv-Routing-HOWTO.html.

Not complete but definitely useful.

> 3	I use Linux 6.2. Do I need to download latest Kernel. If yes Do I
> need to compile it? If yes with which option?

(RedHat?) Linux 6.2 is pretty old now and RedHat and is based on kernel
2.2. Start with the latest release of RedHat Linux 7.1 which has QOS
compiled in by default - makes your job much easier.

It comes with kernel 2.4 and uses iptables.

RTFM. http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Adv-Routing-HOWTO.html

> 5	If I want each user to do some kind of ?login? into the network
> before starting the Internet access. Is it possible on an extended Lan
> network. If yes How?

Login into the network? I don't know how you would achieve that. For a
PPP connections you could insist on a login. On a shared ethernet or
DSL/Cable i don't know how to do it.

> I will be grateful to those who will help me in doing this job. Please
> reply.

Start by reading the Advanced Routing HOWTO and experimenting with the
example rules listed there.

--
Han Solo:
	I love you.