[LARTC] CBQ.init/tc - sharing bandwidth "nicely"

Hello,

I'm starting to toy with CBQ.init and was wondering if someone would take the
time to answer a few of my questions.

First my setup:

      LAN

  [FW/router]----ISDN to NET

      DMZ

I'm experimenting with shaping the trafic between the NET and the LAN. I've
got two classes defined as follows:

cbq-10.net-lan---------------
DEVICE=eth0,10Mbit,1Mbit
RATE=81Kbit
WEIGHT=8Kbit
PRIO=5
BOUNDED=yes
RULE=172.17.1.0/24

and

cbq-20.net-lan---------------
DEVICE=aps0,128Kbit,12Kbit
RATE=81Kbit
WEIGHT=8Kbit
PRIO=5
BOUNDED=yes
RULE=172.17.1.0/24,

The shaping seems to be working as advertized, but I'm not entirely satisfied
with the behavior. And it's not clear to me what to do to get what I
want. (which is the reason for the post) Let me explain.

With the above in place, traffic from the internet to the 172.x.x.x network
is limited to somewhere around 10Kbytes/s. But say I start downloading a big
file off the net from a client on the lan. This fills up the available
bandwidth, and everything else comes to a grinding halt (very very slow),
including any shell connections to the Firewall/router.

What I'd like is for all clients on the lan to share (nicely) a given amount
of bandwidth, devided equally among all using it. Also, I'd rather not
penalize connections directly to/from the Firewall/router, although I suspect
that fixing this is simply a matter of putting some better rules in place.

Comments/suggestions are very much appreciated.

-Andrew
--
Computer Systems Admin.
Bibleinfo.com