[LARTC] Bandwidth Shaping - BRIDGE MODE

Hello,

I'm new to this list and iproute2 itself and got a question about something
I might want to realize:

Shaping bandwidth by the use of a Linux pc, that acts as a "bridge". (and
NOT as a router!)
I'd like to use the bridge-mode because then I could configure my 3com
switch to use the ?resilient-link-mode?. It would eliminate the
single-point-of-failure since the switch could chose a direct connection to
the backbone as a backup if my Linux machine should go down.

The bandwidth-shaper shall be able to limit the bandwidth for single IPs or
whole (class-c) networks to amounts like 100 Kilobits per second or even 2
Megabits per second.
Bandwidth Limiting is explained here, that shouldn?t be the problem.
(http://ds9a.nl/2.4Routing/HOWTO//cvs/2.4routing/output/2.4routing-9.html).

Is the stuff mentioned above theoretically possible? If so.... could you
give me just a tiny hint please...
I don?t know how to set up the bridging mode.
Another question is if I can address the network devices the same way as
mentioned in the how-to (e.g. tc class add dev eth0 parent 10:1 classid
10:200 cbq bandwidth 10Mbit rate? even though I?m using the bridge-mode.

Thanks,
Gunther Stammwitz

My network-plan: (can also be found here: http://www.stammwitz.de/plan.jpg)

BACKBONE ---------------alternate /backup route---
   |								 |
   |								 |
100 Mbit fast ethernet                           |
primary route					       |
LINUX-PC (bandwidth-shaper)	   		      fast
   |								ethernet
 |   |
 |   |
PC1 PC2,..... PCn