Re: [LARTC] What type of machine to do routing ?

At 07:02 AM 7/9/01 +0200, Franck BALAZOT wrote:
In fact I want to manage the bandwitdth with Class Based Queueing with iproute2.
Perharps a 100Mhz CPU isn't powerfull enough ?

Juri Haberland wrote:

> If you only want to do (static) routing without firewalling/NAT then an
> old Pentium 100MHz with 64MB should do it. Concerning the HDD: get the
> smallest you can buy nowadays.
>
> Juri

I haven't had any difficulties running NAT/Firewalling with a Pentium 90 MHz with 48 Megs of RAM. Currently, I am not running iproute2 or doing any shaping (just lurking to pick up information until I have a chance to recompile my kernel and give it a go)

I'm using ipchains and ipmasqadm

The machine is also running bind (to provide a local caching name server for my DNS requests) and xntp (to provide time synchronization). Approximately 10 computers/workstations are connected on my local network and I have no services open to external connection other than incoming mail (port 25 which is forwarded to an internal mail server).

Steve

Steve Bush (srbush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx), Charybdis Technologies, Inc.
"There was a point to this narrative, but it has presently escaped
 the chronicler's mind."  --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)