Re: [LARTC] Unnumbered

On Fri, Jun 22, 2001 at 10:31:04AM +0200, M.F. PSIkappa wrote:

> > The routing effects I cannot correctly comment on, as I'm not sufficiently
> > versed in IOS to fully grasp the effects of  ip unnumbered
>
> No, it's incorrect, unnumberd allow you to connect 2 router without IP
> adresses.
>
> 192.168.0.1/24 [cisco]unnumbered-----unnumberd[cisco] 192.168.2.1/24
>
> It's special case of point-to-point connection. In linux if I make
> point-to-point connection I have to assign any IP on both endpoint of
> connection.

So, in effect, you're changing the behaviour of your (level 3) port to a
level 2 port, i.e., a switch, and add some filtering features to it, or am I
missing something?

In that case, you might get away by configuring the two pairs of ports as
ethernet bridge ports, and only assign IP-addresses to the two outer
interfaces as in the diagram above.

Not sure whether all shaping and firewalling tricks will work in that case
though. Anyone got a comment on that?

Regards,
--
  Q_.           Jasper Spaans <j@xxxxxxxx>