Re: [LARTC] Unnumbered

On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, M.F. PSIkappa wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, Arthur van Leeuwen wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, M.F. PSIkappa wrote:
> >

> > > it's posibility to make something similar to Cisco unnumber on Linux ?
> > > E. g.
> > > interface Serial0
> > >  ip unnumbered Ethernet0
> > > I don't want to assign to interface private IP.
> >
> > If I understand the ip unnumbered command correctly it allows you to share a
> > single IP address on multiple interfaces. This is trivial on Linux: just add
> > the same IP address to each of the interfaces with  ip addr add
> >
> > The routing effects I cannot correctly comment on, as I'm not sufficiently
> > versed in IOS to fully grasp the effects of  ip unnumbered
>
> No, it's incorrect, unnumberd allow you to connect 2 router without IP
> adresses.
>
> 192.168.0.1/24 [cisco]unnumbered-----unnumberd[cisco] 192.168.2.1/24
>
> It's special case of point-to-point connection. In linux if I make
> point-to-point connection I have to assign any IP on both endpoint of
> connection.

What is the difference with

192.168.0.1/24 [linux] 192.168.0.1 ------- 192.168.2.1 [linux] 192.168.2.1/24

if I may be so bold to ask? Yes, the routing effects may be different, and I
mentioned that might be a problem, but the unnumbered thing looks like a
cisco-specific hack...

Doei, Arthur.

--
  /\    / |      arthurvl@xxxxxxxxxx      | Work like you don't need the money
 /__\  /  | A friend is someone with whom | Love like you have never been hurt