Re: [LARTC] Simulation of WAN on LAN

Andrea Glorioso wrote:

>     er> Hi, Does anybody knows tools that can Simulate Wan conditions
>     er> (Bandwidth change, dropped packets at random times etc ...) ?
>
> LANforge (www.candelatech.com) might provide some of the requested
> functionalities, although I didn't look at it closely - it's not free
> software and so it doesn't interest me too much.
>
> I remember the FreeBSD "pipe" subsystem, by Luigi Rizzo, having the
> possibility to simulate delay/losses of packets inside each pipe (the
> packets could be fed to the various pipes via ipfw).  I think that
> this could be a nice opensource project. :)

I'm off for vacation starting Wednesday and won't have real results
before then, but I've a project using LANForge that I'll report on when
I get back.  I still don't know all the idiosyncracies, but I have 3
grad students happily learning them as we speak.

I'll report back.

Gerry
--
Gerry Creager -- gerry@xxxxxxxxxxx
Network Engineering			|Research focusing on