Re: [LARTC] Authetication on LAN

Deepak singhal wrote:

I want to do authentication and accounting for the users on the LAN who use my linux gateway for internet access. My linux box is running redhat 6.2 along with ipchains and masquerading done.

proxying of squid. I doesn`t know whether PPP over Ethernet can do this ? Could anyone suggest me what to do so that i can authenticate my users on the LAN and also keep and accounting record for the usage . Their are commercial versions available in the market doing the same but i want some freeware .

You should take a look at PoPTop http://poptop.lineo.com/

This is a solution for building a VPN Server. You can start PPTP session to your gateway with user/password authentication. You can assign special IP adresses so you can also do accounting of traffic.

I don't know how many users you need. It seems that this software is not yet tested with more than 50 or 60 users. I am planning to set up a test installation with authentication and accounting of about 4000 users perhaps using a number of 4 to 8 gateways.

It is based on the PPTP-protocol, which is implemented in Micro$oft Windows (VPN-Adapters). There is also a Linux and FreeBSD client avaible.

Because all needed tools are included in MS Windows, it is easy to set this up on the client machines with no need of additional software.

--
Torge Szczepanek