[LARTC] Sharing bandwith between multiple interfaces

Hi,

Although this topic seems to have been discussed before on this list, I would
like to raise it again as I couldn't find a solution to the problem on this
list.

We have the following setup:

           1MBit
Internet --------- Cisco --------- eth0 Linux eth1 --------- Subnet 1
			                      eth2 --------- Subnet 2
				              eth3 --------- Subnet 3
                                              eth4 --------- Subnet 4

The Linux (2.4.3 kernel) uses iptables for firewalling. On top of the
firewalling, we would like to use the Linux to divide the bandwidth (1MBit)
amongst the four subnets.

Limiting the downstream bandwith (from the viewpoint of an Internet user
connecting to one of the subnets) can be easily done on eth0.

The difficult part is to limit the total bandwidth on the interfaces eth1 ->
eth4 to 1MBit and still allow these four interfaces to borrow bandwidth
from each other. Maybe it's not difficult but I'm just missing something.

Can anyone offer some advice?

thanks in advance,
Kristof Verniers