Re: [LARTC] multiple MAC addresses from one network card

There is AFAIK no way to assign multiple concurrent addresses to a device. Does anyone know otherwise? Is it even theoretically possible? I don't think so the way most cards are designed.

I don't know of any system to do this either, but I think it is theoretically possible. If you can get your NIC to listen to *any* destination MAC address (promiscuous mode), why would it be impossible to let it listen to two different destination MAC addresses. But this remains theory. I don't know of any card that can do this...

Why would you want to anyway?

I think such a feature might be useful if you want to do 802.1q vlan trunking, but I'm not sure about it. The applications of such a feature will be rare anyway...

Guy