Re: [LARTC] How to measure jitter & packet loss?

On Sun, Mar 25, 2001 at 12:33:20PM +0800, Rick Goh wrote:
> Inter-packet gaps if too big may cause real-time application to have
> jitters. But how do i measure the jitter if supposedly i send out a tcp/udp
> stream??
>
> Attached is an extract of tcpdump data.
>
> Any information on how to post-analyse tcpdump for jitter, packet loss is
> very very much appreciated.

The text format isn't very useful for me. :) Tcpdump binary would be much
better.

What I normally do is a binary capture set to only grab the flows I'm
interested in (i.e. no spurious arp activity like your dump), then I run the
binary output back through tcpdump with it set to delta time mode once for
each flow with the right filters to isolate the flow.

Then I can import the resulting data into R (a freesoftware statistics
package) where I can see and analyze the delay characterize of the flow.

It's also useful to gather the same data on the transmit side and see how
the statistics differ.