[LARTC] Re: TOS useful???

On Sat, Mar 24, 2001 at 01:30:46AM +0800, Rick Goh wrote:
> Will the manipulation of TOS affect throughput/delay/etc ?
>
> I have tried to set TOS of packets going through a particular source port to have Maximum Throughput. But however, it doesn't seem to have any effect on the throughput.
>
> Experiment:
> 3 TCP full streams from server into client:
> source port 42010 -> TOS set to Maximum throughput (0x01 0x08)
> source port 42011 -> normal
> source port 42012 -> normal
>
> However, the throughput is identical for each of the stream.

I think only the 'minimum delay' feature is useful. Many routers (Linux
included) will then insert your packets in front of the queue. Note however
that it is very important that your UPSTREAM router supports this! Support
on your own gateway is not enough.

Regards,

bert

--
http://www.PowerDNS.com      Versatile DNS Services
Trilab                       The Technology People