Re: [LARTC] FTP transparent proxying

On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 09:31:46PM -0500, John Anthony Kazos Jr. wrote:
> What does that have to do with anything? One could probably adapt the
> ideas used in masquerading into transparent proxying. Transparent proxying
> of HTTP has noething to do with "host" either; that's multihoming.

Ahh, but you are missing something.

IP masq doesn't know what site is being viewed.  It only knows
www.something.org port 80.

To get transparent proxying of http, you need to get squid to read the
"Host" header in http.

The best you could get out of ftp on initial connection would be
destination.  You could watch the traffic go by, and keep track of current
directory.  Now that I think of it, if you process the entire control
connection conversation, you may be able to trans proxy it.

So how do you deal with a cache hit?  Don't let that request hit the outside
server? or block the incomming ftp-data connection and slink your cached
copy in?

Anyway, the probelm would be much bigger than ip masq, as all it has to do
is sniff for "port" commands and send that incomming connection inside...

Mike