[LARTC] transport multicast traffic through a gre tunnel.

Hi All,

As it is written in the "Linux 2.4 Advanced Routing HOWTO"  GRE tunneling
has some benefits compare to IP-in-IP, on of it benefits is the ability to
transport multicast traffic through a GRE tunnel.
I used the  mrouted daemon and I know that the daemon supports tunneling but
I don't want to use its tunneling method.

Assuming I have gre0 as my tunneling device I did the following:

1. declare the following rules:
Ip rul add iif eth0 table 100 prio 100
Ip rul add to 240.0.0.0/4 table 101 prio 101

2. declare the following routing table
ip route add default dev gre0 tab 100
ip route add 224.0.0.0/4 dev gre0 tab 101

The result was that all multicast traffic was routed via the gre tunnel, but
the multicast traffic was not.

Can someone help me with that problem?
Did I do any mistake?
Is it possible to do that using Linux OS? As I saw in the ipv4 code handling
the multicast traffic is done before looking and the routing tables and
rules is it true?

Is it possible to transport also broadcast traffic to the tunnel?

Actually what I really want is to forward all the traffic (unicast,
multicast, and broadcast) that came from eth0 to tunnel gre0, is it
possible? If yes then how?

Thanks
Dror G.