Re: [LARTC] Re: iptables and DSCP

On Fri, 2 Feb 2001, Pavarani Giovanna wrote:

> Talking about DSCP field...
>
> iptables is said to provide all the features of ipchains and something more and
> better organized, but with ipchains I was able to set all the DSCP values
> in the TOS field, with iptables it seems this is no more possible, only few
> values are permitted.
>
> For example:
>
> > iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING  -s 10.0.0.2 -j TOS --set-tos 0xb8
>
> gives me:
>
> iptables v1.1.2:Bad TOS value '0xb8'
>
> Am I doing something wrong?

Nope. Look into linux/ip.h as all the "legal" values are defined there and
maintained there. I hacked on TOS to make the FTOS module available
through the patch-o-matic. FTOS will allow you to set any value between
0-255 into the DSCP field. But it will not check if a value already
exists. The syntax is:

iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING  -s 10.0.0.2 -j FTOS --set-ftos 0xab

If all you are looking to do is set the field to any value that will work
- also works in the POSTROUTING chain for outgoing. Enjoy.

> Thank you
> Regards,
> Giovanna Pavarani
>

> > On Tue, Jan 23, 2001 at 01:59:00PM +0100, Tom Aernoudt wrote:
> > >
> > > Isn't it possible with iptables to filter on DSCP field?
> >
> > Why don't you ask this question on the iptables/netfilter mailinglist?
> >
> > Anyway, answer is: No.
> >
> > Not because the framework isn't capable of that. Just because nobody
> > implememnted a match yet.
> >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Tom Aernoudt

Matthew G. Marsh,  President