Re: [LARTC] 2 default gw in redhat 6.2

On Thu, 1 Feb 2001, Rene 'Lynx' Pfeiffer wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Feb 2001, Arthur van Leeuwen wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 1 Feb 2001, bert hubert wrote:
> >
> > > Linux is supposed to have something called 'dead gateway detection'
> >
> > Which it doesn't use when there's a multipath default route. Now, that isn't
> > technically the case here, so that shouldn't be the problem here.
>
> Does this mean that Linux automatically detects a failed default
> route and takes the second one if I configure two default routes?

No, it means the exact opposite. If you configure two default routes
Linux will randomly multiplex outgoing connections over the two routes.
As opposed to the case of a single route it will not even *try* to do
dead gateway detection on these routes anymore. Yes, I do think that
behaviour is silly. However, I haven't thought of a better way to do
it yet.

Doei, Arthur.

--
  /\    / |      arthurvl@xxxxxxxxxx      | Work like you don't need the money
 /__\  /  | A friend is someone with whom | Love like you have never been hurt