Re: [LARTC] Napster Upstream Bandwidth Control

On Sat, Jan 13, 2001 at 12:05:25PM -0500, Peter Frischknecht wrote:

> Okay here it goes.
>
> I have been fighting this one for a while, and I would like to know if there
> is anybody else out there who shares my pain.

Yes, many of us do. Napster is all good and well, and I wouldn't like to
prohibit it, but once it starts using sizeable amounts of your bandwidth,
the fun goes out of it.

> Out-User is logged on to Napster:8888 with shared port 6699.
> Out-User wants a file from In-User.
> Out-User tells Napster:8888: go tell In-User.
> Napster:8888 tells In-User: Out-User:6699 wants file x.
> In-User opens a new socket and contacts Out-User:6699.
> Out-User now has a TCP connection to In-User and can receive file x.

The problem is that you need to recognize, specifically, outbound napster
connections. Would any connection *to* port 6699 be an outgoing napster
connection?

> How am I supposed to stop that?
> Some may say: just slow it down enough so that it is unusable.
> The problem is that if I am DOWNLOADING a song from an Out-User:6699, I have
> to send an acknowledgement packet that has to fight traffic with songs being
> uploaded.  The final effect is that I will get slow downloads as well.

You want to have your cake, and eat it :-) Perhaps you can make it really
complicated, and exempt ACK packets from accounting? I expect that the u32
match is up to this. Otherwise, select on large/small packets.

> I would greatly appreciate any ideas/comments/suggestions... heck I would
> even like getting flamed if it led me to some solution.

I would really like to find a way that enables you to throttle napster
service, so as to keep it alive, but not kill it.

Regards,

bert hubert

--
PowerDNS                     Versatile DNS Services
Trilab                       The Technology People