Re: [LARTC] IMPT!!! - What software to use to gauge if Bandwidth control is working/successful ??

On Thu, Jan 11, 2001 at 07:34:46PM +0100, Guy Van Den Bergh wrote:

> MRTG works with SNMP to get traffic statistics from remote routers.
> How did you get SNMP to work on a Linux box? Have you already used MRTG
> to monitor linux routers?

Yes. You can install an snmp daemon on your Linux box, which will make it
respond to snmp commands a router would respond to as well. I don't like
this approach because my 8MB 486 router didn't have enough memory to run an
snmp daemon concurrently with mrtg.

The second way, which I like a lot better, is to have mrtg call an external
program which then creates the right numbers. Very easy to do:

 export PATH=$PATH:/usr/sbin
 ipchains -vx -L output | grep $1 | cut -b 9-19
 ipchains -vx -L input | grep $1 | cut -b 9-19
 uptime
 echo $1-router

This creates output mrtg can understand.

Regards,

bert hubert

--
PowerDNS                     Versatile DNS Services
Trilab                       The Technology People