Re: [LARTC] Load Sharing PPP Connections on an Masqed LAN

On Mon, 4 Dec 2000, Lisle Wilson wrote:

> My problem is whne i dial in with both connections, it only routes the
> internet through the last ppp connection i've made (usually
> ppp1). This means that although ppp0 and ppp1 are connected to
> the internet, my computers on the LAN (ip 192.168.1.x) are only
> connecting through one modem.

You have set the `defaultroute' option to PPP. This is its intended effect.

> What I need is to know how to set up routing, or
> Loadsharing so that i can utilise both modems over my Masqed network.

> My Desired Set Up:
>
> Internet  Internet
>    |              |
>    |ppp0       |ppp1
>    |              |
>  _______________________________________
> |    Linux Box                          |
> | IP Masquerading                       |
> | routing or lOadsharing                |
>       |eth0
>  The Rest of My Lan

Ooooooh, an ASCII-gram.

First: read up on the 'ip' tool that comes with iproute2.
Second: set up /etc/ppp/ip-up.local scripts (not exactly sure what Mandrake
        uses for that, but that's what RedHat uses) to dynamically reroute
        to the correct interfaces
Third: make a multipath route over the two ppp links. This will dynamically
       balance packets over the two links, based on the destination adresses.

Hope this helps.

Doei, Arthur.

--
  /\    / |      arthurvl@xxxxxxxxxx      | Work like you don't need the money
 /__\  /  | A friend is someone with whom | Love like you have never been hurt