Re: [LARTC] A complicated routing scenario (for me at least)

On Mon, 13 Nov 2000, Andrew wrote:

> 2. if I tag a packet coming into the router/firwall above with ipchains
> for routing purposes, will the tag persist to the reply packets? Or do I
> have to tag the reply packets with ipchains from the responding server?

You'll have to tag them whenever they enter your gateway. The reply
packets are just packets, at ip level there is no difference between them.
Only the very first packets, which initiate the connection, carry some
extra flags.

> 3. In reading the various documentation, I noticed several references to
> files in the /etc/iproute2 directory. Related to this directory:
> 	b) I don't currently have this directory in /etc. Is it something I
> just create, and does it's existance imply that the kernel will read
> configureation data from it on boot?

I believe you can just create that directory and the files.

> Suggestions in this area are much appreciated since I have no experiance
> in HOWTO writing. (Plenty of writing experiance, just not howtos)

There is an HOWTO about writing HOWTO's, I think. Try
http://www.linuxdoc.org/ for more elaborate info.

Salukes,

Tung