[LARTC] Re: Can't use two links on a linux box - correction/addition

Arthur van Leeuwen wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, Mike Fedyk wrote:
>
> > I've just subscribed to this list, and found this article.
> > It solved my problem perfectly, but he described the solution
> > I was trying as possible, which I've found is not.
>
> That is interesting... I can't see much difference from the setup you've made
> with what I've described, but for the ordering of the route setup commands
> (which, unfortunately, *is* significant, a detail I forgot when composing
> the e-mail).

The setup you described is exactly what worked in the end.

"The specific tables (100 and 200) are not
strictly necessary, but they provide you with the option to do a static
choice of the uplink route to take for certain traffic."

This is what my reply was for, you really do *need* the extra tables and ip rule
settings.

> > I was reading some old docs that policy routing didn't work on packets from
> > local processes.  I'm sure glad it was wrong. :)
>
> I've never seen those docs, fortunately. If I had, I probably wouldn't have
> tried this... ;)

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Net-HOWTO/c1431.html
There is a link to http://www.compendium.com.ar/policy-routing.txt

Which was made when 2.1.xx was current.

> Yes. TCP only handles multipath traffic if the addresses stay the same on
> all the paths. But it's not really good for most UDP based protocols either.

The only test that worked was icmp ping. ;P

> The name's Arthur. `van Leeuwen' is my surname. Yes, it's a silly European
> thing. Note quite unlike `van Beethoven' in `Ludwig van Beethoven'.

Ok, np.  That was what was in the From: in the archive, so I used that.  Maybe
you should add Arthur to your name in the From: field. "Arthur van Leeuwen"?

I hope this discussion will help others when it goes into the archive.  It
certainly helped me.  If they actually take the time to check the archive... but
that's another issue.

HTH
--

Mike Fedyk                   "They that can give up essential liberty
Information Systems           to obtain a little temporary safety