Re: [LARTC] Queueing and BGP

On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, bert hubert wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 01, 2000 at 01:24:09PM -0300, Aldrin Martoq A. wrote:
>
> > So, It doesn't make sense to mark packet (C) because it will never go to
> > the local network and I cannot control that bandwidth, because I just
> > receive it. And also It doesn't make sense to mark packet (D) because
> > SQUID will eat all the bandwidth with packets (B) and (C) anyway.
>
> Because squids repackets your data, any shaping information is lost. Once
> your data has left squid, there is no way to know anymore where it came
> from.

> You can try to get the ingress policer working, which tries to do shaping on
> the receiving interface (before squid). This should work, except that people
> have been having trouble with the ingress policer.

Or, alternately, you might try to configure one squid per bandwith-partition,
thereby getting back your shaping information. This does come at a cost, but
it is actually relatively easy to set up. You might need NAT to do it
though... ;)

Doei, Arthur. (Yaay, coding shaping information into IP addresses... ;))

--
  /\    /  |             Fight Scientology, See URL: http://xenu.xtdnet.nl/ |
 /__\  /   | Buttons. Lotsa buttons. I like buttons. [Big Dog]              |