[LARTC] Monitoring....

> Thanks Stef.
> But I've tried to see your examples and all graphs are broken. There are
> no images at all. Can you fix that???
http://home.docum.org/qos/snmp.html
or do you mean an other page ?
(http://home.docum.org/stef.coene/qos/gui/rrd.html is an old page that has
indeed broken images).

> If you could send me an example attached (don't sendo to the list cause
> someone may be angry with that) I'll be very happy... :-)
Most of my scripts are downloadable.

> > If you need more help, you can contact me.  For the rrdtool, I recommend
> > using an existing script and adapt it to your needs so you don't have to
> > bother about the needed options.
>
> I have, at least for the moment, one question about iptables:
>
> Does I need to create another chain to sse the bytes like:
>
> iptables -N mychain
> iptables -I INPUT -j mychain
> iptables -I OUTPUT -j mychain
> iptables -I FORWARD -j mychain
> iptables -A mychain -p tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT
>
> Does I need to do that???
No.  Each rule has a byte counter.  But if you redirect all traffic you want
to count to the same self-created chain, you can use the byte counter of that
chain so you don't have to calculate the sum of the separated chains.

> And, if I need, there's some security implication in doing that, I mean,
> this way how other rules I need to block SSH for not welcomming IP's???
Put the counter rules at the end of the firewall script.  And if you create
new chain, you can use -j new_chain.  So you don't accept/deny the packets
but still have the counters.

Stef

--

stef.coene@docum.org