[LARTC] Bandwidth control using Linux or other router

Hello all,

 : 1. Purchase a router which has some form of bandwidth management - this
 :    would be expensive, rite ?

You have to decide what is expensive for you.  Time, money, expertise,
control, or not having a software/networking vendor to vilify.

 : 2. Purchase a low end router with 1 lan 1 wan, and connects a dual LAN
 :    linux before it.  Will this additional hop slow down anything?

Yes.  But maybe not significantly enough to be a problem...depends on your
pipe and usage on that pipe.  Remember, it's ideal to perform traffic
control on the bottleneck itself.  Regardless, I'd suggest option 3 or
option 1, depending on your answer to your own question in 1.

 : 3. Purchase a supported T1/E1 interface cards and plug it into the
 :    Linux box.

I recommend the Sangoma WAN cards.  I've been using them for at least 3
years under linux, and they are well supported by Sangoma and the linux
community (you'll see the driver in the distribution).

  http://www.sangoma.com/

I've had exactly one problem with the wanpipe/wanrouter software, and it
had already been identified and fixed by the time I had filed the bug
report with Sangoma.

 :    This could be a problem for me because of support issues. What if it
 :    does not properly? What if there are problems with the card or the
 :    drivers ?

You won't have problems with support for Sangoma's cards in the kernel nor
technical support from Sangoma.

-Martin

--
Martin A. Brown --- SecurePipe, Inc. --- mabrown@securepipe.com