[LARTC] Measuring throughput

I'm running a game server which uses a lot of UDP traffic on a 4 Mbps
connection. I'd like to figure out how much of that I'm really using
(inbound vs. outbound) and I'd like to verify my bandwidth cap.

The host also runs a web and FTP server and I'm running wshaper to keep
those from hurting game traffic. But I'm concerned that it might be
artificially capping my bandwidth and that I might need to tweak it.

I've got ntop running (http://matureasskickers.net:3000/) and it tells me
that in a massive game last night (50 players) I used 2.2 Mbps, but I don't
know whether that's inbound, outbound, or the sum of both. Is there another
tool better for this measurement?

I'd like to simulate lots of game traffic by flooding UDP packets out of
the box (say, to my home system) to verify the bandwidth cap. What tool
would be good for doing that? (The Slapper worm doesn't count! ;))