[LARTC] good hardware

On Wednesday 05 February 2003 22:59, Joshua Daniel Franklin wrote:

> NICs: I've seen several mentions of the Intel eepro NICs. Are they best?
I still believe that the DEC ones are the best, you still can get new 100mb=
it=20
nic with tulip chips on port, in our tests they are the best, we've about=20
1000 of them running here.=20

ps: intel does now produce that chips, but I don't know which intel nic mod=
els=20
do contain that chip, as we buy cheap cards with that chip on it. =20

our dealer in munich, justs calls it

CompuShack FASTLine PCI 10/100Mbit/s DEC Chip    32 euro
=20
under linux just load the tuplic.o module.

> Processor: speeds probably don't matter too much (my Cisco 3640 router
>     with 4 T1s has a 100Mhz processor, though it's RISC and has optimized
> IOS) but faster processors have faster FSB as well
> Memory: 128 MB probably enough to deal with 100Mb?
not the amount of ram that is important, it's the memory throughoutput , as=
 I=20
can remember rambus is there better than ddr-ram.

ps: we only buy pcs with 512mb ram and 80gb hd, as it doesn't make much=20
difference and someday you'll may need it ;-)

> HD: Obviously you want everything in memory, but if you're doing much
>     logging you might get a solid-state disk.
and only write in chunks, not each entry alone and not in sync mode ;-)

> I've done a little comparison testing of prebuilt firewall routers with a
> few little DLink/Sonicwall/Netgear boxes vs. an Athlon running IPCop, but
> I'm sure someone has done better hardware tests than mine.
> I'm open to any info. If I get enough for a good summary perhaps it could
> be added to the HOWTO.
> Thanks.
look at the pci performace of the chipset, there are big differences

=2D --=20
Regards,
Robert
Robert Penz