[LARTC] tools for traffic monitoring

On Monday 27 January 2003 02:38, mingching.tiew@redtone.com wrote:
> Correct me if I am wrong, your idea of stats collection is based on
> iptables. This is beautiful by itself as it is directly related to firewall
> rules.
> On the other hand, if one's purpose is to measure qdisc/classses,  wouldn't
> it be better to use 'tc' , much like those explained in HTB user guide
> chapter 7  ?
>
> Examples, tc -s -d qdisc show dev eth0
>                 tc -s -d class show dev eth0
>        etc.
>
> In any case, whether is using tc or iptables, it will require a fork to
> collect
> results. If I need to run it continuously, any words of advise regarding
> avoiding excess load ?
I have some scripts to do this.  I have a iptables and tc version.  I have a
scirpt I use to monitor the tc bandwidth and this executes the tc -s commands
each second.  And generates allmost no overhead.

Iptables can also be used to monitor traffic within a class to see if you have
to fine tune your htb setup.

Stef

--

stef.coene@docum.org