From: lartc-admin@mailman.ds9a.nl [mailto:lartc-admin@mailman.ds9a.nl]On
Behalf Of Björn Snippe
Sent: 26 January 2003 21:44
To: lartc@mailman.ds9a.nl
Subject: [LARTC] share 2Mbit between 90 users - what's sensible?

Hi,

I've read through the bigger parts of the docs, but I'm still fairly new
to this, so I would like to ask you for a little advice.

I've set up a 266Mhz-Linux-Router running a "Bering"-LEAF distribution,
which provides shaping of a 2 Mbit SDSL-Line for about 90 users.
We have quite a lot of P2P-users (student's dorm *g*), so the link
became congested quite regularly.

I've set up 90 subclasses borrowing from a HTB root class.
Traffic is filtered to them based on (static) source IPs.
The main reason for this are the users saying: "I've paid for my share
of bandwidth, which should be at least xy kBps, so that's the least I
can expect!"
Now I would like to prioritize interactive traffic for every user, too.
What's the most elegant way to do this? Create 90 more classes with a
better priority?
Isn't there a better way?

Thanks for your patience,
Björn Snippe