[LARTC] HTB: quantum vs. burst

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 09:28:17PM +0100, Stef Coene wrote:

> If you want to undestand what's going on, you also have to graph the tokens
> and ctokens.

Oh, I see.  The negative values of tokens and ctokens that can be seen
frequently are because of the hysteresis setting?

Also, I have some trouble understanding the tokens/ctokens example on
www.docum.org.  First, I would suggest that you add an additional bullet
specifying initial conditions more explicitly.  I suppose that the burst
bucket is filled up when the 200bps transmission starts, am I right?
Second, it would be useful to state what ceil the example class has since
bursting is limited by ceil as we agreed before.  Without knowing the
class' ceil it's hard to say at what speed the first <burst> bytes will
be released to the network - which is what the other calculations depend
on.

> I use the ethloop from Devik.  It's a very nice think ones you
> understand how it works.  I can send you my scripts and config files if you
> are intersed (and I think you are :)

You bet I am, thanks a lot. :)

> Indeed.  I think I need some sleep :)  Indeed, the ceil is respected if you
> use the burst parameter.  It's the parent ceil that's broken.

That brings up a question: what happens if the parent, say 1:20, has its
own parent, say 1:10, and the 1:10 has already been overlimit.  In other
words, class 1:10, already transmitting at its ceil speed, has a child
1:20 that breaks its ceil because one or more its own children are
bursting.  Unevitably, 1:10 is forced above its ceil too, right?  If
that is the case, the state of being "overceil" will spread all the way
up the class hierarchy to the root class?

> I had a hard time finding the directory where I stored my files :)
> But I found it.  Now I have to figure out what I wanted to document :)

Oh, don't feel pressed, take your time, it's been a long time coming
anyway. ;-)

	pvl