Using HTB as an ISP "provisioning engine"

I am new to shaping but not to routing; forgive me if this request is inappropriate for this list.

I am a very small ISP and would like to use HTB to enforce contractual bandwidth limits on my customers. I am trying to think through one aspect of this that is vexing me. I'm sure it's no great secret that many ISPs oversell their bandwidth, and in our case we have a combination of accounts that total approximately 2.2Mbs on our feed, which is 1.2Mbs. (Concentrating right now on our download stream)

How could something like this be accomodated? The documentation says that the total bandwidth allocations of a set of subclasses should total that assigned to the class.

But my understanding is that if I bump up the bandwidth on the primary class to a value greater than my actual bandwidth, then I'm going to be filling up queues at the upstream ISP and negatively affecting my performance.

I'm sure there is something I'm missing, but I've discussed this with a couple of fellow network engineers and neither was able to posit how such thing might work, although they both said they were sure that it is a common scenario.

Thanks.

B.