newbie question

Can someone kick me in the right direction on this one?
I searched the archive and saw nothing.  Google didn't help either.

Using tc, I get good results and flow control on a small network.  I have an
old device that sends a 8808 pause frame back to the main linux router to
have it throttle back.  But then instead of slowing down and allocating
bandwidth by the rules set up, it slows down the bandwidth and gives equal
time to all types of packets.  Is there a reason it dumps tc control and
goes to interleaving flow control?

TIA