Re: VRRPD (rfc2338)

The daemon at http://www.keepalived.org/ is the VRRPd implementation that's supposed to be the best. It's actually part of the Linux Virtual Server project (layer 4 load balancer), but the author claims you should be able to use it as a pure VRRP daemon -- although when I've read the doc, I couldn't figure out how. (But don't be discouraged by my impatience. :) It's supposed to be the most mature and ready-for-production.

There's also Jerome Etienne's reference implementation (don't have a URL, but it's easy to Google). However, I've heard from more than place that this is too proof-of-concept and perhaps not production-worthy. Here's a link to a paper about running VRRPd as the hotspare protocol for linux firewalls (uses Jerome Etienne's implementation): http://www.gnusec.com/resource/security/docs/HAFirewallLinux-VRRP.pdf.

BTW, keep in mind that if you intend to use VRRP in an environment with Cisco routers, you'll need to do some work on them too. Cisco routers do not accept multicast MAC addresses as legit ARP replies by default. Unfortunately, the VRRP RFC and all implementations use multicast MACs. What that means is that you'll need to either 1) turn the switch on the Cisco routers that makes them accept multicast MAC ARP replies (good), or 2) put a static ARP entry in the Cisco routers for the VRRP multicast MACs (better).

Hope that helps.

-S

Anton Tinchev wrote:

Can someone point me for good VRRPD (rfc2338) implementation on linux.
Some stable and live project
Thanks