Re: TBF algorithm/usage

On Tuesday 10 December 2002 15:51, Radu-Mihail Obada wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> I have a (mini) Linux router, which goes "out" through eth0; eth0 is
> capable of almost 2Mbit of bandwith (well, actually it's like 10Mbit,
> but you wouldn't care less). Now, say I want to limit _everything_, like
> in every connection. So naturally, after carefully reading the man pages
> and that excellent HOWTO, I resort to TBF. I fiddle a lit with this, but
> after a couple of hours of intense experimentation, I find that it
> doesn't do what I really want it to.
> Specifically, I want _every_ connection to use _at most_ (say) 16kbps,
> never more, even if there is some bandwidth to borrow from. But TBF doesn't
> seem to do just that (or I don't understand its inner working, which I
> kinda don't). And what does burst mean/do? tc-tbf(8) says that I would
> never need to modify this, but tc qdisc add ... root tbf always requires
> it.
> Thanks in advance.
Tbf limits all bandwidth that leaves the NIC.  What you want to do, limit each
connection to a certain bandwidth, is not so easy to implement.  If you want
to do it per ip-address, or port, you can create a cbq or htb setup.  So you
can put each connection in a different class and limit the speed it can get.
The filtering can be done on ports and/or ip-addresses.  But if you want a
class for each connection, you will need a lot of classes.

Stef

--

stef.coene@docum.org
 "Using Linux as bandwidth manager"