Re: how to get the latency down on maxed out classes?

Hi Stef!

> > Does anybody have any idea how to get the latency down and still maintain
> > the correct throughput?
> If you want low latency for some traffic (ping, telnet, ssh), then you can
> create a separate class for it.
> And if you have a 64kbit modem, you have to be sure you never send more data
> then the modem can handle.  If you send more data, the hugh modem queue's
> will be filled so they create a lot of latency.  So for a 64kbit link, try to
> limit ALL traffic to 60kbit so the queue's of the modem are never filled.

I'm doing all my tests under ideal conditions (over 100mbit lan and shaping
the traffic to something low such as 384kbit). The problem is that the
latency becomes unnatural.

If you have a normal line, e.g. 64kbit and you saturate the line, the
latency still stays within limits, but with HTB, the latency can become very
high if you have multiple concurrent tcp sessions going at full steam in a
class. I can understand why it does this, but I need a way to get the
latency down to acceptable limits.

--

Regards
 Abraham

I never killed a man that didn't deserve it.
		-- Mickey Cohen

 Abraham vd Merwe [ZR1BBQ] - Frogfoot Networks
 P.O. Box 3472, Matieland, Stellenbosch, 7602
 Cell: +27 82 565 4451 Http: http://www.frogfoot.net
 Email: abz@frogfoot.net