Re: Re: routing problem with new subnet..

 : I have a debian (woody) box acting as router for my network and I am trying
 : to setup a dmz (210.xxx.xxx.225/29).

 <routing table snipped>

This is a classic case of a breaking a network in two with proxy ARP.  You
can do this exactly as you indicate (assuming the xxx.xxx numbers are all
accurate).

 : anyway, whenever a request comes in for one of the boxes in the dmz the
 : gateway box doesn't seem to answer any arp requests for it. So the
 : connection goes nowhere. How do i fix it? I've tried playing with arp proxy
 : and manual arp entries to no avail. Do I need to add an extra route?

The routes look fine, according to the snipped routing table.

There are (at least) two ways to do it.  I haven't documented the second
way yet...keep looking around but you can read up on one way to do it here
(with script and config file):

  http://plorf.net/linux-ip/html/adv-proxy-arp.htm

One thing people frequently forget when using proxy ARP techniques is:

  the upstream router (here at 210.xxx.xxx.141) needs to have
  a /30 prefix length and a static route

               OR

  the upstream router needs to have a a /29 prefix length, and the
  proxy ARPing device needs to proxy ARP for the "internal" network

I'd recommend using tcpdump on both eth0 and eth2 to determine where the
problem is.

-Martin

--
Martin A. Brown --- SecurePipe, Inc. --- mabrown@securepipe.com