Re: Policing

On Tuesday 03 December 2002 08:50, Rajiv Ghai wrote:
> HI
> I have read the advanced routing and traffic control and have a question on
> policing. I am using RH 7.1 and have two interfaces, one eth0 to the
> internet 256K and one eth1 to some 50 students on a LAN connected via a 2
> MBPS wireless link. Now it seems that when the wireless link goes down for
> a few seconds, there is a burst of incoming traffic and my linux box
> crashes (my theory). How do I configure policing to limit the traffic when
> the link comes up again ?
I'm not sure if policing will solve your problem.
To police incoming traffic, you need to add an ingress qdisc.  And 1 filter
that matches all traffic and you need to configure the filter with a policer.
If the incoming rate exceeds the rate of the policer, all incoming packets
above that rate are dropped.
I have no examples to show you, but if you download the iproute2 source, you
will find some examples in the examples directory.

Stef

--

stef.coene@docum.org
 "Using Linux as bandwidth manager"